Home Forums Mini-Lessons 08-16-2011 → Good Life #1 [ANSWERED]

This topic contains 31 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  trunklayer 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Missing, GTFO.

That is all.

missingno15

Relaaax, it’s not like everyone knows what I’m saying. And that’s the point! What good is it if everyone just read answers that other people made and simply agreed with that without thinking about it? That wouldn’t be helpful at all.

Ultralisk

Does the “glhf” mean Koichi is a starcraft player? No, wait, SC2 is popular in Korea not Japan. No, wait, gah! Focus!

Okay okay, from reading other people’s interpretations my thinking aligns with:

1. The person is male. (Elenkis)
    2. I wa I ga is like I ____ MY ____ (Jacob VanDyke)
    3. 生まれた日 Day (subject) was born (Day of birth) (光る青い玉)
    4. I was thinking about my birthday.

Hashi

Koichi and I may or may not be on a highly ranked diamond double Zerg 2v2 team and play fairly regularly.

Maybe.

koichi

“OFFICIAL” ANSWER:

1. Based on the sentence alone, what do you know about the person in terms of their physical appearance / biology?

Probably a boy – can’t be 100% sure, just based on this, but the likelyhood is good the person talking is a young boy, young man, (or even, though less likely, and older dude… but not too old).

2. Why「僕は僕が」? It feels like too many 僕’s, perhaps, but there’s an important reason it’s there. What does this do?

First 僕 is talking about the second 僕が(plus other stuff)

3. What does 生まれた日 mean?

It means “day I was born” (when you add the 僕が in there, at least). We have:

生まれた: was born / born
    日: day

So, it’s literally “born day” and in the context it’s “day I was born”

4. How would you translate this sentence?

“I remember the day I was born”

Let’s break the sentence down really quick, too.

僕は < [僕が生まれた日] を覚えている >

僕が生まれた日を覚えている = Remember the day I was born

Add the 僕は to the beginning and you have “I remember the day I was born”

—-

Good job everyone! A lot of you got it, and a bunch more of you probably learned something new to try to get it. Okay, next mini-lesson coming in just a moment! Keep up the good work!

No no no, missing, by all means answer in Japanese – I was referring to you saying “I’m a beginner herpaderp”, that old chestnut ;) Beginners can’t write in-depth answers like that all in Japanese. Just sayin’.

SinisterT

BECAUSE KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

I got this correct.

(笑)

Here’s to a long life of these textfugu ‘mini-dealies’

Revenant

1. He is using “boku” to adress himself, meaning it is probably a conscious man or a very tomboish woman.
    2. Putting emphasis on the self part
    3. umaretahi prolly means “the day I was born”, so bascially the day it happened
    4. I’m remembering (obeteiru) the day I was born (umaretahi) (or the process and happenings of that day).

I know I am late, but I didn’t cheat.

missingno15

I am a beginner though.

KiaiFighter

Me too.

This was a great idea, Keep it up Koichi =)

I hope you have a week or 2 of these planned out in advance, knowing your track record for keeping up with things ;)

One question on this, just curious of the correct pronunciation for 生まれた日 (not sure how to pronounce the 日 in this context)

うまれたひ? That’s what my IME tells me =P

@NarcLTD: Yup, think that’s correct.
    @missing: Nup, think that’s incorrect.

Drayomi

Because of the “I” used (僕) I would say the individual is most likely male and probably on the young side – child, 20′s, possibly even early 30′s.

I would translate this sentence as “I remember the day I was born.” or “I recall the day I was born.”

“僕は僕が” is used because “僕は” marks the subject – “‘I’ remember…” – and “僕が” marks the object of the verb “生まれた”. “僕” isn’t a direct object of the action, and the verb “生まれる” is an intransitive verb so “を” and “に” aren’t used.

“生まれた日” literally means “was born day” but in English we would say “day that (subject) was born”.

That was a good late night Japanese exercise! :)
    I had no trouble with this one, whatsoever. Easy-peasy, but I have been self-studying Japanese very passionately for 17 months already so if you haven’t been learning Japanese very long, don’t make anything of it. It is good to make mistakes and have trouble with Japanese. I started strictly using a Japanese to Japanese dictionary last week and I am having a lot of trouble, but I know the failures and difficulties will all be worth it eventually, by quickening my path to fluency and keeping my brain out of the “OK plateau”.

Happy Studying! ;3
    I am off to read more of 乙一’s 「夏と花火と私の死体」 and to listen to more Japanese podcasts – which I can only somewhat understand – for now. :P

• This reply was modified 12 years, 8 months ago by  Drayomi.

Drayomi

Oh I didn’t realize you already revealed the answer. Well I didn’t need to look at anyone’s comments. I knew the answers before I even left the topic starter post to write in the reply box. :P

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.