Home Forums Mini-Lessons 08-19-2011 – Good Life #4 [ANSWERED]

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  trunklayer 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

KiaiFighter

こんなときなのにパパは新しい革靴がぬれるのを気にしていた。

1. こんなとき – “that time”

2. 新しい革靴がぬれる – “new leather shoes get wet”

3. 気にしていた。- “was worried”

Now we have to paste it together with some grammar.

4. なのに – “even though”

5. のを – nominalize a verb phrase

6. Even then, he was worried about his new leather shoes getting wet.
    Because the sentence starts with a reference to a previously stated time, one can only assume this is related to the sentences posted in previous quizzes. (thus referring to the sunny day) and therefore のに is used to say ‘even though it was sunny, …’

David

1. こんな = about ideas expressed by speaker; とき = occasion; speaker is expressing an option about an particular occasion (probably the previous part of the conversation)
    2. New leather boots get wet
    3. 気にして = to worry (too much); いた = exist (past tense); combined… was worried too much.

4. However (and other similar meanings)
    5. I’m not sure what the の is doing here, but the を is specifying what is being worried about too much.
    6. The last statement said it was a clear day, so here the speaking is probably saying, “Despite [the clear weather at] that time, I think that Papa was worry too much that his new leather shoes got wet.”

koichi

*ANSWERS* Hope ya’all had a nice weekend!

こんなときなのにパパは新しい革靴がぬれるのを気にしていた。

1. こんなとき

こんな = like this
    とき = time

“Time like this”

2. 新しい革靴がぬれる

“New leather shoes get wet”

3. 気にしていた。

“was worried about”

This uses past tense teiru form, so he was in the state of being worried, technically.

4. What does なのに mean?

“even”

Combined with こんなとき you get こんなときなのに, which means “even at a time like this”

5. What does のを do to a verb?

Simple answer: makes it into a noun. 新しい革靴がぬれるのを becomes “the act of getting the new leather shoes wet” … and then we can say something about that sentence.

6. What does this sentence mean?

“Even at a time like this, papa was worried about getting (his) new leather shoes wet.”

trunklayer

Ok, first my answers – then the check.
    1. I’d say it means “such time”.
    2. I’d translate it as “New leather shoes get wet”.
    3. I’d translate it as “Was worrying about”.
    4. I’d say, in this context it means “At”.
    5. In nominalises it and makes it the object for the following transitive verb.
    6. I’d translate the whole sentence as “At such time, my father was worrying about getting his new leather shoes wet.”
    Time to check the answers.
    1. Close enough, I think.
    2. Excactly right.
    3. Close enough, I think.
    4. This one I have failed. I should have checked my guess about the meaning of “なのに” at jisho.org. The reason is that I thought of it as a combination of particles な+の+に rather than a dictionary word.
    5. Seems close enough.
    6. I’d say, 50/50. I failed to include the meaning “And yet even” (due to having answered question 4 incorrectly), but other than that I’d say I translated it close enough. Heh, I was on the verge of writing “And yet even” in the beginning, because the context really screams for it…

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by  trunklayer.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.