Home Forums Mini-Lessons 08-29-2011 – JIN #1 [ANSWERED]

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  trunklayer 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

koichi

We’re going to jump to another drama now. This drama is JIN – it’s about.. well… I’ll let you figure it out. It’s pretty whack, though. We’re jumping into a thought in someone’s head, about 3/4 through the first episode which sums the show up, I think.

信じられないだろうが俺は今江戸にいる。

1. What is 信じられないだろうが

2. What is 江戸?

3. Anything cool happen in 江戸?

4. What is 俺は今江戸にいる。

5. What’s the whole sentence? What’s something you can assume happened to this character based off this sentence?

• This topic was modified 12 years, 8 months ago by  koichi.

missingno15

一言で、時間旅行。

Yet another strange drama it seems

thisiskyle

He probably ran into Marty McFly at some point.

missingno15

I didn’t know who that was, but I was like “thats definitely a reference too….”

KiaiFighter

そうね!このドラマはおもしろかったと思う!
    1回か2回かだけ見たことがあるけど、おもしろいと思った。ちょっとHouseみたいな人ね!江戸はすご具古いの時代でしょう。
    日本でこのドラマはすごく人気だったから、本当にオススメだ。

jkl

Drayomi

1. What is 信じられないだろうが
    “You probably wouldn’t be able to believe it, but…”

注意:Since 信じる is an 一段(いちだん) Verb – also know as a Group 2 verb or a る verb – 信じられない is both the Negative Passive form (will not be believed) and the Negative Potential form (can’t believe). Although, in English “It probably wouldn’t be believed” sounds strange, so it is most likely the Potential from.

“It probably wouldn’t be believed” sounds natural in Japanese though, since it is more polite to be less direct.

2. What is 江戸?
    “江戸” is “Edo” which is what Tokyo used to be called.

Tokyo was called “Edo” during the feudal era of Japan, so there were Samurais, and Ninjas. :P
    There were also Feudal Wars.

4. What is 俺は今江戸にいる。
    It means “Right now, I am in Edo.”

5. What’s the whole sentence? What’s something you can assume happened to this character based off this sentence?

“You probably wouldn’t be able to believe it, but right now I’m in Edo.”

By the sentence, I can assume that he somehow was transported back in time to Edo. Actually I know, because I’ve seen this episode. :)

• This reply was modified 12 years, 8 months ago by  Drayomi.

koichi

信じられないだろうが俺は今江戸にいる。

1. What is 信じられないだろうが
    “You probably won’t believe _______.” ← The “you” is assumed, since he’s talking to someone (at least, we can assume he is, probably)

2. What is 江戸?
    “Edo” → Old name for Tokyo

According to Wikipedia, it had 1,000,000 people in 1721, which is more than any other city in the world at the time, apparently.

4. What is 俺は今江戸にいる。
    “Right now I’m in Edo”

“You probably won’t believe it, but right now I’m in Edo.”

You can assume he is time traveling! Or… that he’s visiting Edo and not time traveling, but that’s no fun.

trunklayer

1. I’d translate it as “Although it’s probably unbelievable” or “Believe it or not”
    2. It means Edo – the old name of Tokyo.
    3. Well, as far, as I know, that period was characterized by strict social orders (isn’t what I’d call “cool”), isolationist foreign policies (doesn’t seem that cool either), and an increase in both environmental protection (this, on the over hand, is cool) and the creation and popular enjoyment of arts and culture (definitely cool).
    4. I’d translate it as “Currently, I’m in Edo”.
    5. I’d translate the whole sentence as “Although it’s probably unbelievable, I’m currently in Edo”.
    Well, it’s a wild guess, but I’d say he might have traveled back in time somehow.
    [update]
    Well, it seems I’ve managed to answer everything close enough.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by  trunklayer.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.