Home Forums Mini-Lessons 08-30-2011 JIN #2

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  trunklayer 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

koichi

So in the last mini lesson we learned that he was transported back in time to Edo (what Tokyo was called back in the day).

満足な道具も薬もなく

This one keeps things pretty simple:

1. What’s 満足な

2. What is 道具も薬も

3. What is 満足な道具も薬もなく

missingno15

一言で、櫛風浴雨

jkl

> なく

Without? This usage is difficult to research, because it is so short. There are some apparently relevant search results for もなく over on Eijiro.

http://eow.alc.co.jp/%E3%82%82%E3%81%AA%E3%81%8F/UTF-8/

Also note the title of the 1961 film “名もなく貧しく美しく”. I guess sometimes adverbs get used where you might expect adjectives. But that sometimes happens in English also, e.g. the title of the 1990 film “Truly, Madly, Deeply”.

trunklayer

1. I’d translate it as “satisfactory” or “proper”.
    2. I’d translate it as “tools and medicine”
    3. I’d translate the whole sentence as “No proper tools, no proper medicine…”
    By the way, if my translation is correct that would confirm the time travel assumption, because Edo definitely must have had the best tools and medicine in all Japan at that time, so only someone who came from the future could have said such a thing.
    [update]
    The feeling when you go looking for correct answers and realize they were forgotten to be added… Well, no matter how I look at my answers, they seem more or less correct…

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by  trunklayer.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.